Changes in Environments Affect Metabolism
Intro Images:Photo Credit:
What revs your metabolism?
Discover surprising ways your metabolic rate is altered by daily activity and your environment.
Genes and the environment:
The rate at which our food is turned into energy is influenced by our environment and our DNA. We cannot change the genes we inherit, but certain aspects of our environment are within our control.
Consider five environments:
- Food – How do number of meals and time between eating change metabolic rate?
- Living Organisms – How do diseases and microorganisms change metabolic rate?
- Physical Forces – How do physical activity and temperature change metabolic rate?
- Communities – How do busy and quiet social activities change metabolic rate?
- Time – How do age and time of year change metabolic rate?